I spent about 15 hours in airports and on planes, and finally landed in Ireland around 8AM local time (3AM EST). My flight to Newark was terrible, but the flight from Newark to Dublin was excellent. I met friendly people on the flight, which was a tip for what I could expect upon landing.
I pack like a boss. No checked bags for me!
I picked up my rental car and realized I did NOT want the stress of managing the Irish roads in a European vehicle while simultaneously having to manage a manual transmission, so I upgraded to an automatic for a fee. SUCH a better idea! Lol
So I set off on my first day in Dublin with the thought of popping into a local pottery studio, which I could then pick up on my way home. Instead, I GOT DESPERATELY LOST. Here's the thing about Ireland: it's old world. Despite its modernity, even in Dublin, streets aren't marked as they are in the US. There's no "take a left onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, take a left at the light", etc. Instead, it's "go through three roundabouts, take a left, go under two bridges"... and so forth. Truly, the only signs I recall seeing are for roundabouts giving vague indications as to which town or city one direction of the roundabout might take one. I drove from Dublin to far off counties, to Dublin, to other far off counties, and racked up more tolls than I care to account. I was so helplessly lost for so long and it began to really get my goose; however, everyone I asked for directions was so accommodating and understanding, and incredibly generous with their kindness and help. For instance, I pulled off into a bar in a town called Ballyfermot and was giving directions by the charming young bartender named Allen. Allen was tall with a shaved head, stocky and broad-chested. I even struck up a conversation with the elderly gentleman sitting at the bar drinking the most beautifully crafted pint of Guinness I'd ever seen. I asked Allen how long you have to let the Guinness settle before heading it off, and he said it depended; sometimes, ten minutes, sometime just three. I guess the Guinness will tell you when it's ready. Lol Anyway, Allen's directions got me out of Ballyfermot and back in the vicinity of Dublin, after which I quickly got myself lost again. Lol
Somewhere around Ballyfermot. I thought these complexes were cute.
I later ended up back in Dublin, finally so tired and stressed that I just wanted to get to my hotel in Kilkenny, about an hour and a half away, Again, I had no way of navigating myself in the right direction, so I stopped in the town centre of Dublin, to which I cannot WAIT to return! Dublin is so exciting. :) Anyway, I parked and paid a meter in euros, thinking I had bought myself 14 minutes. How silly of me. I put more money in the meter, seeing that it had bought me 14:11. Wait.... these are minutes. That's the time. *head smack* Lol, lesson learned. So, I had parked my car outside of the Francis Street Exchange, owned by a man named Brian. Brian is a thin man with mousy brown hair, roughly in his late 40s/early 50s. He saw how stressed I was and said with a beautiful Irish accent "Well, first off, sit down and relax. Would you like a cup of tea? You don't need to be stressed". He took time to ask me about where I was coming from, even googling my destination to try to help. He drew me an extensive map, and was a very gracious host to an unexpected guest. He then called his friend Paul from a shop across the street, an antique store which Paul owned. Paul was a little taller than Allen, also bald-headed, and had a friendly personality. He said he also has an antique shop in Boston, so if I ever make my way up to Boston, I'll be sure to look up his shop. Anyway, Brian said he'd get in his van and drive me to the right highway, but since he was working, he convinced Paul to take me an easier way since I was having such trouble finding the right routes on my borderline useless map. Brian hugged me and said "don't worry, he'll get you out. See you next week". Paul lead me in his work van, which he also graciously did. And thankfully so, because I'd have NEVER found my way on my own!!! Lol I was so touched by their kindness, and said I'd stop by again when I return to Dublin next week. :)
Paul led me to the highway, and off I went toward Kilkenny. The drive was long and scenic, but I was so tired, I had to eat lollipops and blast music to keep myself awake.
The picture doesn't do it justice- beautiful country.
I finally arrived in Kilkenny in the early evening and stopped off to buy myself some dinner, and to ask for directions. I found a cute little shop and got some DELICIOUS mushroom soup with brown bread, which was so good with butter. I didn't get to actually eat my soup until getting settled in my hotel room MUCH later in the night, but that's another story... we're getting to that part. So I bought a 5 liter bottle of water and got directions from the teller, named Catherine (locally pronounced "Catrin" with the lovely Irish "T"). Her accent was very thick, but she gave me directions I understood (or so I thought) and drew me a little map. So, I followed that, and successfully got myself lost AGAIN.
Allen's and Catherine's directions. Circles and lines!
At this point, I've been up for more than 24 hours, I'm tired, and unfresh, and getting bummed out that this is so hard, so I keep trying to figure it out, going back the ways I came, finding other wrong routes and just compounding problems. I end up asking two more store clerks, each giving me similar responses to those that Catherine had given me, only to become more baffled and irritable that I can't seem to make this work. I pull off into a neighborhood and into a neighborhood. I pull into a driveway to turn around, and the lady of the house, who was cleaning the windows, sees me and comes out. She was elderly, warm, and friendly, like a loving grandmother. She had a kind smile and a small stature. She thought I'd been meeting the neighbors and got the wrong house, but was so reassuring when I told her of my plight and gave me directions, again, similar to all the directions I'd been given before. Her husband came around from the backyard, where he'd been doing some yard work. They agreed it'd be best if her husband, Rob, drove to the hotel while I followed behind him, and they offered this so kindly. In America, if you pull into someone's driveway, you're more likely to get the stink eye than you are to get a voluntary escort. I can say already, in just a few brief encounters: I love the people of Ireland. They're so loving and friendly. I had picked up some wine gums at a local shop and had offered some to Rob and his wife, and she was so sweet as she ate one of the orange gems. They expected nothing in return, and were just lifesaving for me. Rob wished me a good trip and departed.
The view from my room at Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny
I love you, Wine Gums! So deliciously European!
So here I am in my hotel after a long nap and a shower watching European news and Irish programs. It's now about a quarter after 3AM and I'm finally, for the first time on the trip, relaxing.
I'm spending so many of these. Blargh.
Finally got to eat it, and it was so delicious! Mmm :)
Had to pass under this one-lane bridge. It's as scary as it sounds.
Then, I head NW to Galway for the next two days. The path to Galway from Kilkenny is far and scattered, so wish me well that I find my way without trouble. I continue to be surprised by the beauty of the country and its people, so I hope for continued new discoveries and life-living!
Also, take a look at this beautiful broach I found in Brian's shop! It only cost €10, and it's like it was made for me, sitting in a little box in a cabinet in a shop in a country across the pond, waiting patiently for me to come and find it. How lovely I shall feel every time I wear it. :)
I shall have to give him a proper Irish name... Féirín, which is Gaelic for "gift".
It's pronounced FAIR-een.
Alright, that's all the blogging for now. I have to get some rest and get up early in the morning. Wish me well, friends, and the same to you also.
ahhh. i shall follow your encounters. be well, friend!
ReplyDelete