Thursday, June 28, 2012

To live... to live would be an awfully big adventure.

Why do I have to choose between working to live, and working to stay alive? This morning, I listened to NPR on my way to the theatre, and the top of discussion regarded Obamacare's requirement that all US citizens purchase healthcare. I wholeheartedly agree that all human beings have the right to affordable healthcare, but who's qualified to say what's affordable? What's affordable for a single American woman making $30,000 a year will differ greatly from what's affordable for me as a single American woman. I save as much as I can because I have had, all my life, a deep-set desire to see the world. So all the money I have squirreled away, I should have to shell out for healthcare? Is that all the world wants for us? To stay alive? Is no one concerned about our mental and spiritual well-beings? WE ARE ALL THE SAME! We are organic, interactive beings that NEED more than just money to pay the bills. Life isn't about making ends meet; at least it shouldn't be. But I live in a country, free and glorious in its own way, that values efficiency over quality, adequacy over excellence. I pray for solutions for those in far tighter circumstances than I, and that I will have the means to not only exist, but LIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment