He knew my name. I walked around the lake at the downtown farmer's market this past Sunday and I stopped to drool over the most gorgeous natural soaps. The vendor greeted me, and answered my eager questions about the herbs and oils in the "filthy mermaid" soap. After I'd ended our game of twenty questions, the vendor said "you're a singer". I thought he was being cute and taking a guess, but he continued "I've seen you a few times at [the cafe]. You're really good. You have a nice voice". It was a small moment, but it filled me up, every crevice, with joy. Moments like that reaffirm what I know in my soul: I am on the right path. I've found my calling in performance. When a fan recognizes me, be it for my professional stage work or for a ditty I sang at an open mic, it fills me with peace and gladness that we connected. We forged acquaintance without consciously knowing it. I reached someone. They felt me. It imparts the greatest sense of purpose to connect with a stranger in a real and lasting way.
Needless to say, I bought his soap. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment