Friday, February 8, 2013

I get it

So my longtime acquaintance and newfound friend Curtis is a music major at a prestigious local college and we hung out last night after his jazz set at the coffeeshop. We talked music for about 15 minutes, and in that time, he was able to make me understand intervals, inversions, key signatures, and the keyboard more clearly than my professor has in the past month. He wants to teach eventually and I hope he does. The world needs more people who can intelligently convey concepts. People who are so smart, but poorly articulate isolate themselves and alienate others. I am super grateful for his taking time to break it down for me, and for the chance to see how vital articulation really is. As an actor, this has always been evident to me, but as I move deeper into all aspects of my career, I know that without good communication skills, there can be little progress. What a nice reminder to constantly improve. :) I've also been thinking about communication in terms of directing. When presenting spectacle, what is crucial to the world of the play and what is distracting? Am I remaining true to the intention of the playwright, or is my vision "creative masterbation"? A lot of what people put out into the world is unnecessary, over the top, exaggerated, spectacle for spectacle's sake. How can we simplify? How can we communicate what's needed without adding what's not? I think about that in terms of our social relationships. How can I say exactly what I need to while saying as little as possible? On NPR today, there was a segment about the six word memoir, i.e. eat much, pray little, love arrives. How do you say what needs to be said with as few embellishments as possible?

What is your six word memoir?

2 comments: