Friday, March 29, 2013

Giving

So, a kid, probably 10-12 years old, just approached me in a Starbucks after shaking down the guy behind me and asked me for five cents. I wanted to say "why should I give you my hard-earned money?" and wait for a legitimate explanation. I wanted to hear "I'm homeless" or "I don't know" or "because I want to do a 'hey mister' outside of the ABC Liquor and all I need to afford a bottle of cheap vodka is your five cents". Anything. I wanted to ask, but I didn't. I knew I had some change, and I doubled his request with a dime. He said "it's small", and I replied "it IS small", and he walked away with his skateboard in his hand. I didn't even hear him leave. I have been sitting here in my tights and financially stable seat knowing that some kid has money I earned and I had the ability to give without question. It was nice. Happy Friday, dreamers and givers!

No comments:

Post a Comment